Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Spritz


I have always loved the simplicity of Spritz cookies. Each bite envelops you in a variety flavors layered with butter. I also love that this is a cookie I can jazz up with various bold colors without having to cover with frosting. Initially, I thought Spritz cookies were complex...be it the cookie gun or mixing the dough. But to my surprise, they were one of the easier cookies to make. I bought the Cookie pro gun and could barely wait to get it out of the box! Instantly, I was searching online for the perfect Spritz recipe. The one I found was from All Recipies and it called for vanilla extract instead of almond and I chose to use Orange extract. Something I had seen from other recipies. I am not typically a orange flavoring fan and was a little concerned as I was mixing the batter that it wouldn't create the Spritz cookie taste I was looking for. However, I turned out loving this recipe! The cookies turned out great and were a perfect colorful addition to my holiday goodie treat trays.



Butter Spritz Cookies

Source: AllRecipies

Makes 3 dozen

Ingredients
1 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons orange extract (original recipe called for Vanilla extract)


Directions
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and white sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in the egg, then stir in the orange extract.
Combine the flour and salt; stir into the sugar mixture.
Place desired amount of dough into separate bowls and add food coloring. ( I used gel coloring)
Cover dough, and chill in fridge for at least one hour.
Chill cookie sheets.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Fill cookie press gun.
Press dough out onto ungreased, chilled cookie sheets.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly golden at the edges. (Mine only took around 7 mins)
Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment