Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Pesto


During my last internship, I was awakened to two amazing flavors that I had never dreamed of cooking with. First, garlic. Sure, I add garlic salt and/or powder to about everything I make but never had I minced my own fresh garlic cloves. So good!


Next, pesto. Amazing pesto, added to everything from pasta to sandwiches. I love the full flavor it adds to the most basic of ingredients! I have since came across several recipes calling for Pesto and when I went to the store, I couldn't find it. I was bummed beyond belief. But once I got my very own food processor, I knew this was first on the list to make. Since then, I have added it to a few meals that I will post about in the future. So stay tuned!


This picture by no means does the pesto justice. Once again, I encourage you to judge by taste and not by looks!
Pesto
Ingredients
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts
3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. (When using fresh basil, use the leaves and only the stalks that are connected to the leaves)
2. Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.
3. Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula.
4. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended.
5. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Makes 1 cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment