Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Fudge Ribbon Cake

It is finally spring break and I am so excited to have a few days off! My plans for spring break are pretty uneventful because my partner and I hope to mostly wrap up our thesis! That will be such a good feeling. I do plan to throw some fun into the week though as we have a girls shopping trip planned to the outlet mall (hello, Coach store!) and I have quite a few new recipes I want to try! I haven't been spending much time in the kitchen lately due to school and the hubs has been working out of town during the week, so suppers have consisted of cereal or Jimmy John's.

I began my return to the kitchen in pursuit of filling my craving for cheesecake. I found this recipe and decided to give it a try. It was very easy and tasted pretty good!

Warning: Use spray on the bunt pan. I was in a hurry and left out this step...it did not end well and resulted in me remaking the cake. When I was teenager I remember having multiple fights with my mom because I REFUSED to use cooking spray on the pans, insisting that it made no difference. I think it was my attempt to rebel and ever since then, when I cook, I typically do not use cooking spray. Well mom, are you happy?!? I don't think I will forget again.


Fudge Ribbon Cake
Source: Bake Me More

Ingredients for the cake:
1 box chocolate cake mix, plus ingredients called for on the box
1 8oz package cream cheese (I used 1/3 fat)
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Ingredients for the ganache:
3 oz bittersweet chocolate (I used Ghirardelli chips)
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 tablespoon corn syrup
1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter

Directions
Heat oven to 350 degrees. SPRAY 10 inch bunt pan with no-stick cooking spray
Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Beat cream cheese, butter and cornstarch in a medium bowl until smooth. Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk, egg and vanilla until smooth. Pour evenly over cake batter. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes and remove from pan. Allow to cool and apply chocolate ganache.

Ganache directions:
In small saucepan, bring cream to a boil. In separate bowl, combine 3 oz of chocolate and 2 tablespoons of butter. Pour hot cream over chocolate. and let stand until melted, about 5 minutes. Stir, if not all lumps are dissolved, place in microwave for 10 second intervals. Let ganach sit until think but still pourable. Pour ganache over cooled cake. Let set for 30 minutes or until glaze is set before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment