Pages

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Red Velvet Cake balls



I saw these delicious little treats on Bakerella and was so excited to try them. I had been completely in dark about red velvet cake until a good friend's beautiful winter wedding where guess what was served?? Red velvet CAKE! I was also looking for new and different Christmas goodies and with their minimal ingredients and fool proof instructions, I was set. The hubs and I hosted a small Christmas party for our closest friend's and everyone was sent home with goodie jars. These cake balls were by far the favorite and will be added to my annual baking list. I made them with white almond bark simply because I liked the sharp contrast and the taste, but you can make your own judgement call.
Hubs approval rating: "I love the almond bark and the cake is really good, even though it's red, that's kind of strange." Haha...that's his version of a positive.


Red Velvet Cake Balls
Adapted from Bakerella



  • 1 box red velvet cake mix (cook as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake)

  • 1 can cream cheese frosting (16 oz.)

  • 1 package white almond bark (regular or white chocolate)

  • wax paper

1. After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl.

2. Mix thoroughly with 1 can cream cheese frosting. (I mixed it in my stand mixer and it came out perfect without any mess.)

3. Roll mixture into quarter size balls and lay on cookie sheet. (If dough is having trouble staying together put in the fridge for 10-15 minutes. Should make 45-50. )

4. Chill for several hours in the fridge or freezer if you are in a time crunch.

5. Melt almond bark in microwave per directions on package.

6. Roll balls in almond bark and lay flat on wax paper until firm. I used 2 forks to cradle the ball to avoid prong marks from the forks and to ensure easy release from utensils.


No comments:

Post a Comment